Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250...

  1. #11
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250...

    Take it from someone who is living on a fixed income. That 250 dollars should be meant to help cover the costs of medical expenses, which for older citizens, it would. They are at the point now that they have to make the decision, "Do I pay for medicine to stay alive, or do I pay for electricity/fuel to stay worm while I die?" My medical costs for medicare are going up by 65 bucks a month (because I elected to get a supplemental plan) and I would have been able to do that if it had not been for my VA benefits getting raise because of my service-connected disabilities. Most seniors can't afford that. Yeah, the 250 would help them.

    But you look at the ones who just sit back and "use" the system. Odds are that they don't get medicare because they don't want to pay the medicare premium, which, right now without the supplemental, take up almost 10% of my check. I took the supplemental out of pure necessity because of my failing health. It offers no deductible for a hospital stay and I now only pay 10 dollars per dr. visit(20 outside the network) I kinda agree with r13 on this. That 250 could really help most of the seniors here.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250...

    [QUOTE=Rocky;1848883 how is a ONE time payment going to help? we saw that it wouldnt do anything good from the one time payment/tax breaks we got.[/QUOTE]

    I think you're missing the whole point of it. They aren't getting their annual COL raise this year, that check would offset that(equals 20+ more per month) and have them break even at least. How anyone would be against this is beyond me. And if you got the breaks last year, you're getting them and more this coming year and the year after. Can't bitch about taxes going up one minute, but act ungrateful when you're getting a big cut elsewhere.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member simple man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    no, what we need to do is get the deadbeats that are getting benefits that dont need it off of the system so that the seniors who are suffering can get the money they deserve from it. how is a ONE time payment going to help? we saw that it wouldnt do anything good from the one time payment/tax breaks we got.
    For my part the devil can have the drones- I just have a hard time cutting on a seventy-something couple that worked for 30 years each.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250...

    [QUOTE=R13;1848957]I think you're missing the whole point of it. They aren't getting their annual COL raise this yearQUOTE]

    got ya.
    Cant we all just get along?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •